INFANT - IRISH CENTRE FOR FETAL AND NEONATAL TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH
INFANT is Ireland’s first dedicated perinatal research centre. The centre’s mission is to make pregnancy safer and to improve health outcomes for mothers and babies worldwide. The world-class, multi-disciplinary collaborative research and an array of industry partnerships make INFANT an international leader of discovery and innovation in perinatal healthcare.
INFANT is committed to innovative, life-changing research and technology that will attract investment and reduce the impact of perinatal disease over the coming decades.
Across pregnancy, birth, infancy and childhood, INFANT is solving challenges through its key research themes.
- Metabolomics: biomarkers for screening and diagnostics
- Physiological monitoring
- Perinatal clinical trials
- Maternal and infant nutrition
- Medical devices
- Connected health
With active project grants worth €30 million, INFANT has approximately 100 staff working to address unmet worldwide clinical needs for pregnant women and newborn babies. They are working to develop screening tests for pre-eclampsia, preterm birth, fetal growth restrictions and conducting research on maternal and infant nutrition, hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy (HIE) and asphyxia at birth.
- University College Cork
- The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
INDUSTRY AND COMMERCIALISATION
INFANT gives its industry partners access to world-first technologies, enabling them to deliver innovative solutions to global markets.
Industry partners include:
- BioScreen Health
- BrepCo Pharmaceutical
- Créme Global
- Danone Nutricia
- Inspiration Healthcare
- Laya Healthcare
- Mead Johnson Nutrition
- Metabolomic Diagnostics
- Nihon Kohden
- Waters Corporation
- Uniquely located within Cork University Maternity Hospital, Europe’s second busiest maternity unit, with state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Biobank, the largest pregnancy/infant biobank in the world, with over 2 million aliquots of blood, serum, DNA and other tissue
- Extensive databases, managed and curated to meet and surpass all international standards
- Sample preparation facilities
- Mass spectrometry facilities
- Dedicated assessment rooms for neurodevelopmental and physical follow-up studies
EDUCATION AND PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT
Through its programme of engagement activities INFANT is actively encouraging positive attitudes towards science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM). INFANT offers a wide variety of free activities for a range of audiences, including young children, online audiences, primary and post primary audiences, and general audiences at both non-science and STEM events. INFANT currently offers three hands-on workshops:
- Bloody Detectives: hands on biobanking workshop
- Electric Brains: EEG monitoring workshop
- Speaking in Code: hands on coding workshop for very young children (3-6 years).